Thursday, July 29, 2010

Beware the Hungarian light infantry...

....or not, more than likely. Tonight we will be playing Shako, hosted by Bill, and my 15mm Austrian lads will be marching to battle once again with Napoleon's lackeys. I don't have quite the right mix of units to meet the OB for the scenario, but I figured the least I could do was get them a bit closer by finishing of a unit of skirmishers.



I love the mix of colour in the Austrian army of the horse and musket era. Certainly there is a lot of white, but I find that makes the facings jump out. The white also lets some other cavalry and infantry units really stand out. In my well-worn Osprey book on the Austrian army of the Napoleonic era, there is a reference to a unit of Hungarian light infantry, with the requisite blue pants, but grey coats and bright orange facings. Looks perfect for a wedding, and a nice splash of colour to go with the white. So I painted up a brace of 15mm troops with this scheme and based them as skirmishers.



Skirmishers are the quickest units to paint in Shako, but for some reason this is only the second skirmish unit I have done for my 15mm Austrians. No doubt the Archduke would spin it as a major increase in support...

Anyway, we all know what happens to newly painted figures. Let's see how long these guys last tonight.

1 comment:

Curt said...

"...there is a reference to a unit of Hungarian light infantry, with the requisite blue pants, but grey coats and bright orange facings. Looks perfect for a wedding, and a nice splash of colour to go with the white."

You know, I never checked with the tux rental drone at Moore's on what colours Greg and Linda chose for their wedding. I thought, "Its a tux, how bad could it be." But now I'm afraid. (But on the bright side we could get to wear cool bicornes...)

:)

C